Wednesday, September 16, 2009

So many funny stories so little time...

With Jack talking up a storm now he often provides us with at least one very amusing 'story' per day.

Yesterday he told me his ear was bugging him...I asked him what was wrong and he said "wax" (note: later in the day he was saying it was 'gas'...Ian thinks he was saying 'grass' but anyway...), so I said, "oh is there wax in your ear? should mommy fix it?"...of course I'm thinking he's going to say "yah, clean ear" or something...no...instead he says "yah, weed wax it". (as in 'weed whack it')...haha...I love it...he talks so much I just take for granted that he knows the meaning or differences between similar words...sigh...so funny.

The only other story that is proving to be an ongoing saga is our effort to teach him when to get up in the morning. He is almost always a good sleeper but he was starting to inch up his wake up time (perhaps he needs a shorter nap but I'm not ready to acknowledge that yet). And now that Jessica is pretty much sleeping until 7:30'ish every day I am anxious to have Jack sleep until at least after 7am. So I took a page out of my friend Amber's parenting book and decided to set the 'alarm' and tell Jack he can't get up until he hears the music (currently: Baby Beluga). So the first morning he was really good, I actually heard him awake talking to himself and reading a book but he stayed in bed...then the music came on and we woke up to "MOMMY DADDY, MUSIC ON, WAKE UP". I guess we deserved it. Well - then it started turning into him getting up early (i.e. 6am or so) and calling for us then saying "music on?" and we would have to tell him to go back to bed which sometimes went well and sometimes was a bit of a struggle. Then last weekend he got up at 6:15am, after some discussion I ended up saying "go to bed", closing the door and leaving him. He cried for 2 minutes then fell asleep. The alarm went off at 8am (yes...I do 'secrectly' inch it forward on the weekend...heehee) and we went in to get him and he said "NO, MUSIC OFF, MORE SLEEPING!". Sigh...can't win. However, most days he's good with it and he is so proud of himself when he waits for the music...

Okay...so Jessica...Ian reminds me that she is going to grow up and read the blog and be annoyed that there are so many Jack stories and none about her. She obviously is not doing as many funny things as Jack because obviously she's not talking or doing much BUT...she is still a cutie and is currently driving me bonkers because she is comfortably rolling from her back to her stomach but often forgets how to roll back to her back...sooooo, starting a few days ago she decided that when going for a nap she would roll to her tummy then freak out. This continues for about 15 minutes or so then she finally settles! She is super happy most of the time - lots of big smiles and she laughs a lot at Jack...not for anyone else really...just Jack! She's sleeping through the night (7pm-7:30am) but sometimes wakes up needing her soother which is fine. We still dream feed her around 11pm but will probably stop doing that around 6 months when she starts getting solid foods. She is supposed to have 2 x 2 hour naps a day - sometimes she does it - other times...well...let's just say she feels a 2 hour nap is over-rated. She loves her feet...sometimes if she's fussy I'll just pull her socks off and show her her foot and then she plays with that for a while. She still hates the car - doesn't scream when we're in it but it's definitely not a pleasant experience most of the time...however, she's good once we're shopping or out and about so it's just a matter of getting there and getting home. I CANNOT BELIEVE she turns 5 months old this Friday...amazing how time flies.

1 comment:

Amber said...

Hee hee. So sorry to hear that the "Morning Music" backfired on you a bit. We also had a "Morning Light" for a little while but the timer wasn't as reliable as an alarm.
I wouldn't worry about Jessica - it's Benson & Simon that are in need of the love on the blog. :)