Thursday, July 5, 2007

Swimming!

I decided to take Jackson swimming for the first time yesterday. He was a little fussy the whole time - perhaps a little unsure of what was going on! He lasted about 7 minutes or so before really starting to cry...then cried while I changed him, the whole drive home, then once we were home he fell asleep in about 2 minutes and took a 2 hour nap. So - upon reflection I figured that the combination of the 'newness' of the pool and that I now realized he was probably tired...I decided to try again today!

Today, I actually woke him up from a nap - fed him - and quickly rushed to the pool. He was wonderful today! We staying in the water for 45 minutes, then I decided that we'd get out before he started freaking out so that the whole experience could be a positive one for him...so we got out, got changed, got in the car, drove home and he was still a happy baby...and seemed to enjoy the experience (as much as a 12 week old can).

We have been going to the outdoor pool at Greenaway. The lifeguard on duty is nice enough to allow me to go in the pool while there are a few lessons going on - and before public swim starts - so that there is less chaos! It's a public pool but I feel like I'm getting a bit of private treatment - how awesome!

Anyway - Jackson seemed okay even during the public swim (I didn't think he'd last very long so we only showed up 15 minutes before the public swim started and since he was so good I thought we'd stick around to see how he'd be with all the noise and activity), we just stuck to our corner of the shallow end and bobbed along enjoying the water! I thought about bringing my camera and getting someone to take a pic but then I thought...nah, everyone will be busy...then sure enough, while I was in the water a nice lady came up and was talking to me and asked me if I had a camera and offered to take a picture!!! So darn it, I don't have any pics...but I think I'll be bringing the camera next time (or Ian and I will go together and then we'll have an extra set of hands for the camera).

I just thought I'd put this update on because I'm so proud of Jackson...he did so well today - what a good little boy!!

No comments: